PV size in a PV/diesel/battery system  

Hello everyone,

I am modelling a system with 4 generators (163, 163, 228, 300 kW) with a peak load of 457 kW around 8 p.m and an average load of 205 kW. 

I am trying to integrate PV and batteries to the system. I have put PV on AC link without considering any specific inverter but considering the latest in the cost. The battery system is on DC and a converter allow the electrical flux between AC and DC. 

HOMER gives me best result as 450 kWp PV + all generators + 150kWh/100kW battery system. 

Why is PV size that high if during daylight my load is around 200 kW ? Does HOMER size PV on peak load ? (scaled load 449 kW)

Dear Wassim,

There are multiple factor that are considered by the optimizer to size PV. If you had included '0' in the search space for the generators, the optimizer would have considered the case when all the generators are off and sized PV to meet the peak load. Cost also plays an important role in sizing PV. If you want limit the size of PV, I would suggest using the search space or the upper and lower bounds in HOMER Optimizer. Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Dhiwaakar Rajasekaran

Working

Please Login or Register