[Solved] On-grid PV system with energy storage; DC load  

Hi all,

I am Dipti and I am new to HOMER Pro. I am trying to optimize the size of an on-grid PV system that has energy storage as well. When I try optimize the system, the results always neglect the battery and PV system and take all the energy from the grid. Is there a way I can force system to use the energy from the PV system and the battery? I want to fix the size of the PV system and want to optimize for the battery size. 

I am not sure what I am missing here. Is it because the grid energy is less costly compared to the energy from PV and battery? 

Thank you in advance and I hope you can help me here!

Hi Dipti,

There is a pretty easy answer to your question, in the "capacity optimization" box in the PV window (you can click on the PV icon in the schematic window to get there) there are two other selectables under HOMER Optimizer. Search Space allows you to specify the kW capacity for HOMER to assess, while checking off advanced allows you to set an upper and lower bound for Optimization.

Hope that helps you out.

- AF

Thanks for your help, Andrew. I did not see this earlier. Let me try and get back to you.

Regards,

Dipti

Hi Andrew,

I have a follow up question to this. I have a DC load that needs to be taken care of. I have connected a PV system, a battery system (both to DC) and then a grid with a convertor. What I want is both the PV system and the grid to charge my battery system and the battery system to take care of the load. Or I want at least the grid to charge the battery and the battery system as well as the PV system to take care of the load. Is such a system possible in HOMER Pro?

Hi Andrew,

I have a follow up question to this. I have a DC load that needs to be taken care of. I have connected a PV system, a battery system (both to DC) and then a grid with a convertor. What I want is both the PV system and the grid to charge my battery system and the battery system to take care of the load. Or I want at least the grid to charge the battery and the battery system as well as the PV system to take care of the load. Is such a system possible in HOMER Pro?

Thank you,

Dipti

Hi Dipti,

You were right earlier about the grid power being less expensive compared to PV and battery. You can force HOMER Pro to choose PV and battery over grid to supply the load by increasing the grid power price. Alternatively, you can write a custom dispatch strategy using the MATLAB link while keeping the costs at default so that you can get a more realistic estimate of COE and NPC. Hope this helps. 

Best,

Dhiwaakar Purusothaman

Hi Dhiwakar,

Thanks, that seems possible. I also think MATLAB might be a good way to do this. I will try it out and see what happens.

Thanks again,

Regards,
Dipti

Hi all,

I tried the different suggestions here, but what is still happening is that the grid directly goes out to the load, instead of charging the battery. I am not sure how I can incorporate MATLAB into HOMER Pro. I am a beginner in MATLAB, so are there any examples that could help me start it?

Thank you once again. I do appreciate all your help 🙂

Dipti 

Hi Dipti,

The Matlab Custom Dispatch share section of this forum has guidelines on how to use MATLAB Link. There are also a good number of examples which have been posted recently on how to use different components with MATLAB Link. Below is the link to the section:

http://success.homerenergy.com/community/matlab-custom-dispatch-sharing/

Best,

Dhiwaakar Purusothaman

Thank you, Dhiwaakar. That is helpful.

Regards,
Dipti

Working

Please Login or Register